CHIEF JUSTICE DESIGNATES 14 COURTS TO DEAL WITH ‘GALAMSEY’-APRIL,2017
The Judicial Service has taken note of the recent groundswell of public revulsion and media and civil society advocacy against the menace of illegal mining, commonly referred to as “galamsey”.
As an institution committed to the Rule of Law, we are prepared to lend our support to this renewed fight against illegal mining to stamp out the menace and thereby protect the country’s natural resources, particularly our water bodies, for the current and future generations.
The Minerals and Mining (Amendment) Act, 2015 (Act 900) has introduced new offences which confer jurisdiction on the High Courts and Circuit Courts.
The Hon. Lady Chief Justice has to this end designated seven (7) High Courts located in Accra, Sekondi, Kumasi, Cape Coast, Koforidua, Sunyani and Bolgatanga to deal with all mining offences committed under the Minerals and Mining Act, (Act 703).
Seven (7) Circuit Courts have also been designated to deal with all offences created under the Minerals and Mining (Amendment) Act 2015 (Act 900) and shall exercise concurrent jurisdiction with the High Court. Judges who will be manning these courts will receive regular training to give them a better appreciation of the legal issues involved in illegal mining to enable them to handle cases efficiently in their courts and impose sentences commensurate with the offences.
In the future, depending on the number of cases that will come up for trial, the Judiciary may increase the courts and number of Judges to ensure that the courts are not overwhelmed by the volume of work and that the cases are dealt with expeditiously.
- Greater Accra Region High Court ‘4’, Criminal Division
- Central Region High Court ‘2’, Cape Coast
- Western Region High Court ‘2’, Sekondi
- Ashanti Region High Court ‘5’, Kumasi
- Eastern Region High Court ‘3’, Koforidua
- Brong-Ahafo Region High Court ‘2’, Sunyani
- Upper East Region High Court ‘1’, Bolgatanga
- Greater Accra Region Circuit Court ‘1’, Accra
- Central Region Circuit Court ‘1’, Cape Coast
- Western Region Circuit Court ‘A’, Harbour Area,Takoradi
- Ashanti Region Circuit Court ‘2’, Adum, Kumasi
- Eastern Region Circuit Court ‘B’, Koforidua
- Brong Ahafo Region Circuit Court, Sunyani
- Upper East Region Circuit Court, Bolgatanga
JUSTICE ALEX B. POKU-ACHEAMPONG